You are here: Family Sites Catalog » Student accommodation – ways of renting

Family Sites Catalog

May 3

Student accommodation – ways of renting


Finding somewhere to rent can be a frightening prospect, whether you are new to the city or to the UK. If you are not secured a place in University accommodation, or if you turn down such an offer, you should look into the private sector. Private rented accommodation is a popular choice because it offers more independence compared to a hall of residence and you will have the opportunity to explore the areas outside campus. A great many students rent private housing from private landlords which they can find on their own or through a letting agent. You will find student accommodation Manchester Universities that are near campus, not to mention that you have many options to consider. If you intend to rent a house, then you should understand what there is involved.

Accommodation let by private landlords

As a general rule, private landlords rent their property at the market share rate and they will increase the rent depending on the type of tenancy. Housing let by private sector landlords includes self-contained flats or houses that you can rent alone or together with other people. Basically you will have your own kitchen, bathroom and living space. While some items may be inclusive, such as water charges, household bills are separate to the rent. Your tenancy agreement should outline what other payments the rent includes. You should make sure to read the tenancy agreement carefully before committing to it. If you do not have some self-contained lodging which you do not share with the landlord, you will most likely have an assured shorthold tenancy. Your tenancy agreement can either be for a fixed term, like twelve months, or it can be periodic, namely from one period to the other.

University halls of residence

Universities have buildings that are used to house students. Since ”halls” are a scarce supply, they are generally made available to first year students. Nonetheless, halls that are managed by private companies are becoming more and more common. Halls of residence are purpose-built as student accommodation and run as commercial enterprises. The fact is that housing is not typically linked to a specific university and many sign to a voluntary code. The codes refer to the standards that managers have to follow with regard to health and safety, maintenance, relationship between managers and students. As long as you are prepared to follow the rules, halls of residence are an excellent option.

Shared accommodation

Another option that you have is to rent a room in the landlord’s home and share some of the housing, including, kitchen, bathroom, etc. You become what is generally known as a lodger. While you do enjoy your own room, you have to be aware that you do not have exclusive use of that particular room. Practically, the landlord can enter without having to require your permission. The charge that you are required to pay covers the rent and bills, but you may also receive meals as well. From a housing point of view, you will become an exclusive occupier as long as you share with your landlord something other than the storage area, or if your landlord occupies the lodging as his principal home.


Related articles